Super Eagles head coach Éric Chelle discussed his method for identifying and integrating Nigerian players based overseas during a post-match press conference in Uyo on Friday.
The comments came after Nigeria’s 2-1 comeback victory over Madagascar in their opening 2027 Africa Cup of Nations qualifier at the Godswill Akpabio International Stadium.
Two debutants, George Ilenikhena and Moses Usor, scored the goals that secured the three points, underscoring the coach’s willingness to give new faces immediate opportunities in competitive fixtures.
Chelle explained that searching for talent across the globe forms a core part of his role and is written into his contract. He noted the challenge of monitoring a large pool of eligible players—estimated at around 800 worldwide—while also overseeing the under-23 side.
“This is a part of my job, this is in my contract so I have to do it,” he said. “There’s a lot of good generation in the country and I have to continue, even if I stay one year, two years, three years. I cannot leave and do nothing.” The Franco-Malian coach added that he consistently expresses his commitment to the national team when speaking with players.
The approach has already produced several first senior appearances under his tenure, including players such as Benjamin Fredrick and others drawn from leagues in England, Russia, the Czech Republic and beyond. With the Super Eagles next travelling to face Guinea-Bissau on Tuesday, Chelle’s focus remains on expanding the available options for both the senior and Olympic-age squads through ongoing evaluation of performances at club level around the world.
0 Comments